If you hang out with me enough, you’ll notice 2 things. I miss a lot of pop culture references and I tend to blurt out random facts about business, life, or even how some termite species are all blind except for the king and queen. And I will always start my facts with: “I heard on a podcast that…”
I can hear it now “Podcasts? Why don’t you just listen to music?” Why do I listen to podcasts? Sometimes, I just want to listen to someone talk. I want to hear a conversation but not have to put the effort of responding, and finally, I want to learn while driving to pick up my kids after work. I started listening to podcasts in college in order to learn more about my environment and the impact I can have. After years, I have enough podcasts that I have to make constantly sure my phone, and my mind, has enough space. Here’s some of my favorites.
1. The Skeptics Guide To The Universe – This is one of my first podcasts loves. The SGU is a weekly skeptical review of everything from acupuncture to homeopathy. It’s informative, thought-provoking, and highly entertaining. My favorite part of the show: Who’s That Noisy.
2. Being Boss – This recently discovered gem is an excellent way to boost self-confidence, whether you’re a freelancer or not. Kathleen and Emily are great at keeping it real and letting you peek into the world of building up a business.
3. Stuff You Should Know – Josh and Chuck explain everything from puberty to how circus families work. Yes, after listening to this (and the next podcast) you will be known as a know-it-all, fact-hoarder, and even a geek. Wear these titles proudly.
4. Stuff Mom Never Told You – You’ll learn about Slut-Shaming Gynecologists and one even Dad Bods from Christine and Caroline. Share some laughs and start sounding like a feminist after only a few hours with these gals.
5. Invisibilia – From NPR’s duo, Lulu Miller and Alix Spiegel, comes this amazing podcast that will make you stop what you’re doing and marvel at just how intricate the world really is. A few topics they tackle include the woman who physically feels what those around her feel and how to become batman.
Want to share your favorite podcasts with me? Great! I’m always waiting to find some more. Send me an email! I look forward to hearing from you.